Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas from Dakar!

Walking down the street the other day here in Dakar I saw a Senegalese man dressed in a Santa costume outside of a store. We greeted each other with the Islamic salutation. (greeting: as-Salâm Alaikum -"God’s Peace be upon you" response: wa-laikum as-Salâm "and God’s Peace be upon you." It's the average 'hey, hows it going' type of thing when you talk to or even pass anyone here.) It seemed a little ironic, but I guess the sentiment is the same for any religion, right? But nothing says Merry Christmas better than a Muslim dressed up like Santa! I just love the eye brows.

Anyway, things are good here, even though Dan is in Conakry experiencing a merry military Christmas coup and I'm stuck in Senegal by myself. I came to Senegal about two weeks ago to have some dental stuff fixed and got stuck here due to the military coup. With luck, hopefully I'll be able to return to Guinea next week. But we're safe and well taken care of. I was adopted by the regional doctor's family for a couple of days and had a good traditional Christmas with a tree, turkey, and even presents! They call me their little orphaned war child. :) Everyone has been so great and thoughtful here that I really have no cause to complain. We're making the best of a non-ideal situation.

Anyway, we miss and love you all and wish you the best for the holidays. Take care and have a Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Dan said...

I just love the Santa picture!! It's great! I'm glad you are back in Guinea, Mary, and that everything is calm for the most part. I hope you had a good Christmas and New Year together.

Love,
Debbie